Police Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

K-9 Schultz R.I.P.

Go down

K-9 Schultz  R.I.P. Empty K-9 Schultz R.I.P.

Post  Admin Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:00 am

K-9 Schultz  R.I.P. 5249091_orig

One of the two men arrested for robbing a Gloucester Township restaurant also has blood on his hands — that of the 3½ year old German shepherd police dog he threw to his death Tuesday night.

Schultz, one of three K-9 unit team members in the township, was trying to apprehend Skyler Robinson, 20, of Washington Township, latching on to his arm. The man managed to fling the 85 pound dog into traffic on Rt. 42, and Schultz reportedly died instantly after being struck by a vehicle.

Robinson, grazed by the same car, managed to sprint into a wooded area nearby. An all-out manhunt followed, with helicopters hovering overhead, people ordered to stay inside and Highland Regional High School established as a command post.

Robinson and Evan Scotese, 19, also of Washington Township, had assaulted an employee during a hold up of the Lucky Dragon Chinese Restaurant, in the 400 block of Church St. in the Blackwood section of Gloucester Township. Once Schultz picked up Robinson's scent, he was let loose to chase him down along the shoulder of Route 42.

That's when Robinson seriously compounded his errors, hurling the dog to his death.

Robinson and Scotese were charged with robbery and resisting arrest. Robinson was also charged with inflicting harm on a law enforcement animal, a third-degree felony that can carry with it a five-year prison sentence and $15,000 fine. As reported in the Philadelphia Inquirer, both men remained in custody on $150,000 bail each.

According to the CourierPostOnline, Gloucester Police Chief Harry Earle described the K-9 unit dogs as "members of our department." Schultz was not identified by name as the dog who had died until notifications of his family could be made. His partner was Cpl. Mark Pickard.

Officers honored the dog by processing with his remains to the Chews Landing Veterinary Hospital, and lined up outside the hospital, saluting as the dog's body went by in a hearse.
Admin
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

https://policeforums.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum